Thursday, July 12, 2012

I will ensure govt acts constitutionally: Pranab


Raipur, July 11, 2012

Congress-led UPA presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee says that if 4125 MLAs and 790 MPs will extend their support to him, he will ensure that the government functions according to Constitution. Mukherjee’s words came while he was addressing Congress and BSP legislators during his brief visit to Raipur at a VIP road-based hotel on Wednesday.
He said while the ministers take oath that they will act according to Constitution, the President pledges to oversee whether minister are abiding by Constitution or not.
“To contest the presidential polls, I had to resign from my party. Now, I am apolitical person and am sure to meet expectations of all parties and public,” he said.
Mukherjee, who was scheduled to arrive in the state capital at about 2:15 pm, reached one hour late. He was accompanied by AICC treasurer Motilal Vora, Union Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs V Narayanasamy and State Congress incharge BK Hariprasada. From Mana airport, he directly reached the hotel where Congress and BSP MLAs were waiting to meet him.
He sought votes of all the MLAs terming each of them valuable for his victory. Thanking the legislators in advance for putting their faith on him he said, “I do not know when I will meet you after becoming President. Hence, I extend my gratitude to all beforehand.”
During his address, he mentioned his childhood days when he had to walk several kilometres to go to school. “There was no road to link my village with school. I had only two wishes at that time – a road for my village and a bicycle for me. Since then, things have changed and we have entered a modern era. Now, I am contesting for presidential polls. I hope to do my best if I will get an opportunity to assume the post of first person of the country,” he said.
He further announced MLAs Mohammad Akbar and Bodhram Kanwar as his polling agents.
On the occasion, the two BSP MLAs extended their support to Mukherjee and said their high command had already announced their party support to the UPA presidential candidate. Mukherjee also talked to both the BSP legislators separately for a couple of minutes.
After interacting with Congress and BSP MLAs, Mukherjee along with AICC secretary Bhakt Charandas and Narayanasamy headed to Bhubaneshwar (Orissa).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers